Ecclesiastes 3: "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." New chapters always come with excitement and a little bit of grief. Did I ever think I would be sad to leave my single years? No. Did I ever think I would actually get married someday? No. Do I know the sting and grief involved with not having dreams realized in a time frame I envisioned? ABSOLUTELY. Do I feel guilty that I am getting married sometimes? Yes. Haha- TMI for a blog?
So here I find myself, 11 days from getting hitched. So before I fully embrace the excitement, joy, and blessing of joining my life with Paul's, indulge me in some memories of the last 11 years:
1. Roommates- I have had 54 roommates. I think I am the luckiest lady on earth because I always had fabulous roommates! And many became dear friends that I hope I keep in touch with forever and ever. Too bad digital pictures don't go that far back but here's a roommate sampling:
2. College: I LOVED college. I always played more than I studied. And I'm so glad I did! BYU will always have a special place in my heart. Go Cougars!
3. Traveling- I've been a lot of places in the last 10 years! Seeing the world is so fun, and some of my trips have really forced me out of my comfort zone, and I've had to grow and expand. Ireland, Mexico, England, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, France, Prince Edward Island, Kenya, and lots of places in the states: Washington state, New York, Washington DC, Florida, SoCal, Arizona, Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Nevada, Colorado, and Idaho.
4. Center For Change- Since I had a break between undergraduate and graduate school, I got to work full time for several years. Now, I'm not sure if something is wrong with me, but I get teary-eyed every time I think about how much I loved working at CFC. This job was so fulfilling and meant the world to me. I LOVED the women with my whole heart. I loved the recovery process and I loved fighting eating disorders. I believe this job healed many of my wounds.
5. Dating- This was a large part of my last 10 years! I must say I didn't enjoy dating. I think every once in a while you find someone that enjoys first dates. I think those people are rare and I was NOT one of them haha! And I must admit that a big breakup put me in a tailspin for about two years. I am grateful that time and a new relationship have helped heal that! So let's talk about the dating that I have enjoyed:
Paul treated me well, WANTED to date me (??), got me flowers sometimes, and took the INITIATIVE! This was oh-so-exciting and still is!
Then, we fell in love with each other and wanted to marry each other?! Still doesn't feel real.
All I have ever prayed for is to find someone good to marry. I told God- I don't care if he's ugly, doesn't make much money, drives a crappy car etc. I just want him to be good! Paul happened to come with other perks such as handsomeness, but I had to date him long enough to love his testimony and to know that he is good and has such good desires. So, with both tears and smiles, dear new chapter of my life, here I come!